Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Saturday, June 26, 2010

An amazing journey

Six years ago today, I married my amazing husband.  That day is definitely at the top of my all-time best days!  It was a gorgeous day and we had our families and friends celebrating with us.  The wedding was beautiful; I remember standing at the back of the church when one of the ushers (my sister's fiancee) came and gave me a card from my soon-to-be husband.  Oooh boy, I almost had to re-do my makeup after reading that card!!  I told him afterwards, what a time to be giving me something that sentimental, right before walking up the aisle!!!!!  How would that have looked, the bride bawling her way up the aisle?!






The party afterwards was so. much. fun.  The dance floor was full and we had everyone from an infant to our grandparents out there.  Instead of a bouquet toss, we did the anniversary dance, where as the song goes on, the DJ calls out for those married a certain number of hours years to leave the dance floor.  Eventually, this leaves you with the couple who has been married the longest and they get the extra bride's bouquet.  Well, it so happens that we each had a set a grandparents who had been married for 60 years!!!  We knew this and had a bride's bouquet ready for both of them; I can only hope that we both make it that long.  (Sadly, my grandfather lost his bride last year, after 65 wonderful years together.  We love you and still miss you so much, Grandma.  I know you're looking down from Heaven on our new family; I so wish you and all our other grandparents who have passed away were here to meet Baby J in person.  Excuse me a minute while I go dry my face.)

At the end of the evening, we even had a crayfish race, using the crayfish that my husband and his friends had collected that morning to be used as part of our centerpieces!!

the centerpiece

the race

The past six years have flown by!  We have had some great times - trips, especially to Australia, Hawaii, and Korea, camping, baseball games, family times - and times we have had to really lean on each other for support.  We have been through a lot in these six years; we have learned much more about one another and just how strong we can be for each other.  No one ever thinks that the plans they make when they get married will not happen exactly like they wanted them to; we never thought six years ago that we would just now be starting our family, but we are very lucky with the son we have.  So even though our plans have been slightly modified from the original, we are happy with how things have turned out.  We have fulfilled some dreams (buying land and a pop-up camper that we use to camp on said land) and have others that remain dreams at this point.  Gotta have something to keep us going, right?!




I love you, honey!

5 comments:

Kala said...

Happy Anniversary. I loved reading about your special day!!

Dena said...

Happy anniversary!! And I LOVE your wedding dress!

Rita and Chris said...

Thanks Kala and Dena. I love the dress too!!! Very simple yet elegant, and had the lace-up back, which you can't see in the pictures. I loved that entire day!!

Min said...

Happy anniversary! Ours is 6/25 so I have to think you have great timing. :)

IP Journey said...

Happy Anniversary Rita!