"Hello?"
"Hi, Rita, this is Diane, from Lifelink. How are you?"
Ohmigod! How AM I? SERIOUSLY?!?!
"I'm okay?" I say ask.
"Well, I think you're going to be more than okay in a few minutes. This is it. I have your referral."
By this time, I'm crying as well, but have to calm down and try to write down the information she is giving me about our son. I think I asked some questions. She asked if she should email the pictures and information to Chris as well as to me, but I said just to my email; I wanted to surprise Chris at his office and open the email there so we could be together when we saw our son for the first time. After remembering to put the dogs in their kennels (with a big treat for both of them), I was carefully pulling out of the garage when my phone rang again...this time with Chris' ringtone! I wanted to tell him in person and was somehow able to play it very casual while talking with him, but inside I was screaming and jumping up and down!! He had no clue that he had just become a dad and me a mom!!!
I finally made it to his office and walked in while pulling a card out of the bag I had with me. It was addressed to "papa" which he didn't get at first, but after reading the inside where I informed him that we were parents, we just held each other. This has been the first joyful news we have had in five years during our struggle to become parents and we are finally nearing the culmination of that journey. It was very surreal, even before we opened the email and saw sweet Jason's face for the first time! We are so very, very happy, excited, ecstatic, nervous, thrilled to have him for our son and cannot wait until the time we get to bring him home!!!
I then pulled out of my bag a gift for Chris (which I had bought last week along with the card). It is a WillowTree statue of a father, mother, and child. Titled "Our Gift", "Our bright, joyful gift"; there is not a more perfect "gift" I could have given to him.
Here's to our gift, our sweet baby J, our little boy...be happy, be safe, be loved, little one, until we are finally brought together as a family!
Love, Mom and Dad



3 comments:
Aw, I love a good referral story. :) What a great idea that you set a special ring for the adoption agency. Congratulations to you, Chris and baby Jason!! I hope your wait to travel is a quick one!
I was reading this and Caleb saw the picture of Jason and got a big smile on his face and said his version of "Jason." We are so happy for you!
Love, Aunt Becky
Rita! You both are going to be such wonderful parents! LOVE hearing about "the call!!!"
Congrats again!
Kathy
Post a Comment