Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Another 1st - the lost tooth

"99% of kids who chip their teeth, do just that, chip it.  The other 1% have it shear up the back.  That's what happened here."  

This is what the dentist said to me when I took Boo in on Monday after chipping his tooth at the sitter's last Friday.  He didn't complain about it much, but I still wanted to get it checked out.  I had felt a sharp point behind the chipped tooth near the gum that I could move (yes, this would be the part that sheared up the back...ewwww!) and, as much as I hate dealing with teeth (or maybe, because of that), knew we needed to get it looked at.  Good thing, too.  She sent us directly to the oral surgeon to have it pulled because she could see pulp and thought the sheared part was probably into his nerve root.  Ouch!  Poor kid.  Went from this:

(not a good picture, but you can see the chip really well),

to this:
He was such a brave kid at the dentist's office.  By the time we got to the surgeon's office, he knew something was probably up, but still let them look in his mouth (we were both in the chair by that time) and was really just kick-a$$ good.  Have I mentioned how stinkin' proud I am of him?!?!  And I told him so, over and over.

For various reasons, they were not able to put him out for this procedure, so they just had to papoose him, numb it, and pull it.  Due to that, I was not allowed to be with him, unfortunately, but they said he did great!  After they pulled it and brought him back out, he snuggled into my lap and told me "Mama, I need a kiss" while leaning towards me with an open mouth.  "I need a kiss in my mouf."  How.could. I. resist??  My baby pretty much got whatever he wanted the rest of the day!!

 and now:
My little prizefighter!

No comments: