Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

Scene: Chris, J, and I went to a pig roast held at the house of our friend's brother.  They were hosting with three other couples, so there were very few people we actually knew.  I had finally gotten food for myself and J and was trying to feed him, but he was being extremely squirmy and wanting to stand on my lap to touch the leaves of the tree behind me on the deck.  A woman came up to the three of us and started a conversation because she "wanted to come see the baby."

Woman (I didn't even catch her name and you'll know why soon!): Oh I just had to come see the baby!!
Me (putting a spoonful of food in J's mouth) and Chris: Hi!
Woman: My daughter married a Japanese man and we thought they would have a cute Asian baby.  She ended up with red hair and blue eyes...but still a cutie!

As she is saying this, J burped a little and spit out the last bit of food I had given him.  So like the good mama I am, I put my hand under his mouth to catch it before it fell...not realizing that he was actually going to grace us with a show of his first time throwing up!!!  And he didn't just spit up the few bites of dinner he had already had, he threw up; I didn't think he had even eaten that much all day!  So here I am, sitting with one hand full of my son's vomit, trying to hold him away from me a bit so I didn't get any more trailing down my shirt and shorts than was already there, thinking I could still hold a conversation with this woman, and wanting to pass this off like no big deal.  Yeah, right!!  Supermom I am not.  The handful of puke went on the deck floor with the rest of it, J went to Chris as soon as he was finished throwing up, and the woman, well, I have no clue what happened to her, but Chris told me she left pretty quickly.  Poor lady, all she wanted to do was see the baby...just the baby, not what the baby had eaten today!    J was fine afterwards, just a bit startled as I handed him to Chris quickly and we had people flocking to us with napkins to try and help me clean up a bit.  He got his shirt changed to an extra onesie I keep in the diaper bag.  Having to smell like vomit the rest of the time we were there, I'll now be keeping a change of clothes for myself in the car as well!!!

Live and learn, right?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man, I wasn't expecting this story after reading your post title!! I'm so sorry - poor Jason. :( Watching your child throw up for the first time is so sad - having to deal with it in public is a whole different kind of sad! I hope it was an isolated incident and that J is doing fine now. Keeping a change of clothes in the clothes in the car for mama sounds like a good idea!

Christy said...

Yuck! So sorry! Hope he's feeling better and you're feeling cleaner! :) BTW - I loved your photos in your last post! So cute!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Oh my. Me + puke (from anyone) = not good. Well handled, mama!
But I'm thinking that woman could have offered to help you guys.

Jamie said...

Poor J! I hope he's feeling better! Also, I personally think that you are Supermom for not joining in after catching throw up in your hands! Very impressive :)

Min said...

Oh no! What a sad situation with J puking. :( You DO sound like supermom in how you handled this situation. We all live and learn every day.

Kristen said...

YUCK - I always feel like the smell of puke sticks to me for days.

Sounds to me like you handled it in a pretty supermama way, including staying at the party in your puked-on clothes.

Getting thrown up on for the 1st time - that's one for the baby book :)

Tracy said...

EWW... Sorry about that! Sounds like you handled it very well. Way to go momma.

An extra set of clothes is a good idea. I may need to think of that myself.