We finally got our dining room table and chairs in...after almost 3 months! We ordered them December 31, since the tax rate was going up the next day and, at that time, the furniture store told us it would take 4-6 weeks for it to come in. We were fine with that, as we didn't need it for any certain time. At 5 weeks, I called just to see if they knew when it would be delivered and they told me that it wasn't in and that it would probably take the full 6 weeks. Okay, fine, still not a problem. At 8 weeks, we hadn't heard from them and a phone call from me registered some surprise with the person that answered that we hadn't gotten our table yet. So they called the warehouse: the table and four of the six chairs were in; they were waiting until all the chairs were there before sending it to the store for us to pick up. O-kay, fine, getting a bit upset by this time, but still not a huge problem. At 10 weeks, we were told that they had all the chairs, but not the table...what?!?! How did they "not have" the table now, when they had it two weeks ago?! Not fine, what the heck is going on, we want our dining room set!! By this time, the guys at the store were getting impatient with the warehouse and told us that our table and chairs would be delivered to our house for free, to make up for our inconvenience. After calling them daily, we finally got it delivered during week 11...in boxes!!!!!! Maybe this is how dining room tables and chairs are received normally, but not having bought one before (we've only had small kitchen tables), we just assumed it would either come assembled or they would do it for us. ha! So then we had to spend the evening putting together the table and four of the chairs. Never going back to that store again. Although we've had bad luck with almost all of the furniture stores in town now, so if we ever buy furniture again, I have no clue where we will actually want to get it from! But we really really like our new table and chairs; it makes the dining room look like, well, a dining room. Here's a picture of our awesome table:
If all the above wasn't enough for one week, someone dented my driver's side car door when they were getting out of their car last Thursday. It was such a windy day that the door probably got pulled out of her hand, so I don't blame her at all for it actually happening, but dang it, take responsibility! I had just gotten back to my car when the people next to me were getting out, so I stood back to wait for them and didn't see it happen. Luckily, there was someone in the car facing mine who did see it happen and told me about it when the other people went into the store...the person who did it didn't even say anything to me! How lame. So I went back in the store and asked them about it; the driver completely denied it, but he obviously didn't see it happen. When I specifically asked the woman, she just stared at me mutely and then looked back at the guy, who again denied it. Long story short, after seeing the dents (and the white paint from my car door on the edge of the dark car he was driving), he grudgingly admitted that it could have been them...after calling his friend who he borrowed the car from to tell her what happened! I feel sorry for that woman having to pay to repair the damage done by her friends, but she was also a bit aggravated to hear that they had denied it so long. Thankfully, the two big dents in my car door are going to be repaired soon! It's kinda funny, though, my car got hit and I was the one who had to do all the work in order for it to be repaired. This is actually the first time, yes, I said the first time, that I have ever had something happen to a car I'm driving! Pretty good record, huh?
Chris and I are sending another and, we're hoping, final care package over to Korea this month with a family who is traveling to meet their son. Thanks, M!!! Next time, we're hoping it's us who is carrying over the packages for other families! There hasn't been much movement, but the woman in charge of the Korean program is going over in April to visit and talk with the agency there. That's great news and hopefully that will kind of start nudging things along again. Baby J's birthday is two weeks from tomorrow, on April 14, and the family carrying the package for us is leaving on the 16th, so this will ultimately be his birthday gift from us. I can't believe that we are still waiting for him to come home and are missing this milestone, rather than celebrating it with him. If we knew back in January that we still wouldn't have him by now, we would have found some way for me to have gone over with B. and L. that month when they went to visit their sons. (Both of their referrals were about a month before ours and they're still waiting as well!) Leaving Baby J behind at that time would have been so so heartwrenching, but at least he would have met his mama and maybe remembered me when we go to get him and not be as anxious as he is bound to be. And Chris and I would have had pictures of me with our son when he was still a baby; we could have had those precious memories. I could have held him, kissed him, played with him, and smelled him (don't you just love the smell of babies?!). Now the agency in Korea has said that they cannot accommodate adoptive parents visiting their children prior to travel calls because it places a lot more work on their shoulders, to set up visiting times and have the SW present. I understand, and want them to have as much time as possible to work on getting the babies home instead of coordinating visits, but didn't they understand when they issued the invitation for parents to come visit that they would be inundated with requests, especially as the wait time between referral and travel call is getting longer and our babies are getting older?!!? Friday will be six months since we saw our sweet baby's face for the first time and realized that our dream to become parents was finally coming true...now, if it would only turn into reality for us! Here are some pictures of the birthday package:
His first Illini outfit, a nice birthday outfit (how handsome he will be in it!), a book where he can push the pictures on the side and it says the word (so he may learn some simple English words), and a stacking toy. Can you believe I could not find those small plastic cups that stack inside each other?! I remember those from growing up and wanted to send Baby J a set; he could practice hand-eye coordination and begin to learn that even though you can't see something, it's still there...like his mama and papa right now! We're here waiting for you!
I'm also sending a disposable camera and a thank you gift for the foster family, for caring for and loving our son for the past 10 months. I really like these statues and hope they will also!
Some shots of our "kids" over the past couple of weeks:
Lexi was buried beneath the blanket before Jinx laid down in the bed with her. I pulled the blanket away to get this picture. They have NEVER laid in the same bed to sleep!!!
One day last week, the dogs were rough-housing like usual so I wasn't paying much attention to them. That is, until I heard this very. pathetic. whining coming from Lexi (the beagle). Now mind you, she is (just a little bit) spoiled and whines a lot when she wants something, usually attention, not unlike a child, or so I've been told. But she was no where near me and it continued, so I went to investigate. Here is what I found:
I started laughing so hard because she looked so funny just sitting there, her head caught in a hole in the blanket they'd been ripping apart. And Jinx just standing there like, "what's the problem, mom?" I had to take some pictures! Of course, I first made sure that my little one was not suffocating, which she wasn't. My little wonderdog looks like she's got her very own homemade cape!!
Last, but certainly not least, I finished a baby blanket for my sister's baby shower mid-March. I think it turned out well and am hoping my niece or nephew enjoys it for many years to come!!










1 comment:
Your Illini outfit is adorable! I confess that I've been on-line ogling little Badger rompers for similar reasons. :) Your table is lovely!
Post a Comment