Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Friday, November 06, 2009

It's the small things...

Most of the time when I go to a store or online to look at baby items, it is just assumed by the people/website that you are pregnant.  This really bothers me, especially when adoption is becoming more prevalent.  But I was soooo excited when I registered online at "Baby's R Us" that the second question asked was whether I was adopting!!!!!!  I was just so pleased to see that places are starting to realize that not all families are built the same way... it's the small things.  :)  [Although "Target" still gives newborn diapers out in all of their Baby Kit bags, without asking...:(  ].  Now I just need to find that perfect list of what exactly I need to buy to get ready for a 10-month old, rather than a newborn!!  I will take any and all suggestions!

Another not-so-small, actually a rather big, thing is that we are sending a care package over to Korea for J!!!!!! Another waiting family who will hopefully be traveling next week to pick up their son is graciously taking this gift over with them and will drop it off with the Korean social worker for it to get to J!!!  Thanks Shona and family!!  Safe travels.  Here are a couple of pictures that I took of what we sent to them:

















 I can't believe that in the next few weeks, he will be seeing pictures of me and Chris for the first time!  My heart wants to be there with him so badly, I want to be the one to hold him when he sees those pictures, I want him to see our faces in person NOW!  We thought the wait to referral was hard, but I agree with others who have been in this situation, this is a thousand times harder!  Especially because we are going to miss his first Thanksgiving and Christmas; we want to spend his first holidays with him, not halfway around the world from him.  We are missing so much of his life already.  These holidays are going to be very difficult for us, since our family is not complete; one part of it is not home yet.  This care package will give me joy, though, knowing that J will be getting something soon that we picked out just for him.  He will be snuggling with the security blanket that I washed for him, along with a load of his clothes(...let me tell you, that was the best load of laundry I've ever done!  I've been looking forward to that one for years!!).  I'm hoping that this is something he latches on to and that it is sent with him when he comes home with us.  We are also hoping that his foster mother will take lots of pictures of him with the two disposable cameras we sent, in the hopes that we might get some of them when we go pick him up.  We would love to have pictures to show him of this time in his life.  The other green outfit are pajamas a friend of mine sent to us.  Only thing is, it would have been way too small for him by the time he got home, but I just loved the snuggly fabric, so instead of taking it back for a bigger size, I decided to send it over to him now.  It will definitely keep him warm and cozy!  (We don't even know what size he will be wearing when he comes home, so I didn't want to return it and have it possibly still not be the right size.)
We also sent a small gift for the foster mother, a scarf and some stationery that we hope she'll like.  She's doing a job I could not do, caring for a child who she knows is going to be adopted by another family, and she will have to let him go.  She has an older son and daughter of her own, but it still has to be hard on their family.  I give thanks that she/they are loving him and caring for him until it is time for me and Chris to take over.

Next week, while my DH is gone for work, my mom is going to come help me paint J's room so that we can start getting things arranged...and rearranged...and probably rearranged again!  I am really looking forward to finally seeing that room turned into a nursery.  It's so exciting!!

My mom is also dying to get her hands on the quilt!  I know she would much rather be working on that next week instead of painting, but she said she will do whatever needs to be done (and probably secretly hoping that we will get the painting done so we can get on to the quilt!).  I am still waiting on a few squares from people who have said they are doing one, but I am also eager to start on it, so if I don't have yours (or haven't received a verbal promise of one), please please let me know very quickly so I can leave a spot for you!  Here is a view of all the squares I have in the tentative order on the quilt.  It will not be this big when it's finished.




I have two more squares that are not shown here from a good friend (thanks, Dodger!) that I am going to be making into a long pillow or two throw pillows; I haven't made up my mind yet.  These squares have the words "family" and "love" written on them in Korean.  I cannot cut them to the size I am cutting the others for the quilt, so I'm using the same backing for them that I'm using for the quilt in order for them all to coordinate.  I cannot wait to get started on this project!!

So those are the small and not-so-small things that are happening now.  Stay tuned...

5 comments:

sue said...

this is a great post! it's so exciting to feel just a little bit closer to your baby by being able to send a gift to them.

i know the wait is hard (and will be hard), but hopefully knowing that J is being loved and cared for by a wonderful foster mother will make things just a little bit easier. hang in there!

and yes, love the Toys R Us story - you should write them a letter thanking them!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm so happy that you're able to get a care package to J so quickly! And, I love the 'Heaven Sent' outfit! Hang in there with the wait. Our babies will come home and next year, your blog is going to be filled with pictures of you holding your baby! :)

Kim said...

Congratulations on your impending arrival! I'm so happy for you. He is a lucky little boy.

IP Journey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace said...

I loved reading your post! I am getting really anxious as we are getting closer to the top of the list for our referral. I will have to soon pick yours and Sue's brain about what to send over! I love the little photo book...you'll have to let me know where you got that!