Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

This is a day to celebrate all those dads out there.  So I wanted to take a little time and tell you about two pretty special, amazing guys in my life.

My dad.

He was my first hero.  The man I ran to when I needed a hug, the guy who picked me up when I fell, the one who has been there for me for 34 1/2 years and counting.  He killed spiders for me.  He gave me an obsession a love of reading.  He helped me eat those *monster* Re*ce's Pieces ice cream sundaes at Friendly's.  He cheered me on at alllllll my sporting events, from grade school soccer to high school cross country, basketball, and track.  He came to all my piano recitals.  He taught me to ride a bike.  He taught me to drive a stick shift...and taught me NOT to back that stick shift into someone's front yard with a 2x2 randomly sticking out of the ground!  (really...totally not my fault!)  He helped teach me respect for others and how to be polite (little Boo, take note).  He has always been a great role model for how I want to be towards my own child.  He is still there for me when I need a hug or a pick-me-up or a spider killed when he's around.  He's my dad.

(picture: courtesy of a 2-year-old and the only one I have with just the two of us for a really long time!  I'll have to remedy that soon.)

My husband.

He is also my hero.  The man I turn to for everything, the guy who loves me unconditionally, the one who has been there for me for the last 9 1/2 years and counting.  He also kills spiders for me (how did I get soooo lucky??).  He has given me a love of traveling: the west coast, Australia, Alaska, the British Virgin Islands, Hawaii, South Korea (and another soon-to-be-determined destination).  He is my handyman.  He gives me great foot massages (without complaining!).  He's been my rock through stressful times and the shoulder I can cry on.  He is my driving companion through life, figuratively and literally (he drives while letting me indulge my need to read).  He is the father of my son.  He is my other half.  He is my everything.  He's my husband.


I have been blessed to have these two men in my life and in my son's life.  I hope that he, too, sees what good, strong men they are and follows in their footsteps to grow up to be the best man that he can possibly be.  I know they're pretty big shoes to fill, but I have a feeling that he is more than capable of it!


Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

IP Journey said...

What a beautiful post! I was tearing up! Happy Father's day to Chris!