Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Monday, May 16, 2011

Camping and Mother's Day

First time camping this year and we had so much fun!  We picked up our new camper on the way up to our land and, let me tell you, we absolutely love it.  So much easier to get set up than our pop-up, plus (and this is a big one, ladies!), we have a bathroom!!!  Suffice it to say, Mommy loves that part!

We left after I got home from work at 8pm and drove about three hours so that we wouldn't have the entire drive to do the next day.  This worked out pretty well as J slept for a little while in the truck (although we hadn't realized he would be so excited about riding in the truck that he didn't fall asleep for at least 90 minutes!).  Got up the next morning and drove to about an hour south of our land in the UP, where we picked up the camper.  Chris stayed at the dealership to learn about it while J and I met a friend for lunch who has just recently gotten her referral for their son who is in Korea right now...and what a cutie he is!!  He and J are going to be buddies when we go to camp, I'm sure.  Can't wait for next summer when we'll hopefully get to meet him on one of our camping trips north.  Congratulations, Jessie and Jay, on your little boy!!!!  We also met up with both of them on our way back home to visit a little more, and wouldn't you know, I didn't take any pictures of our time with them!  Geesh!  We'll have to remedy that when we come back your way...don't let me forget, okay??

Anyway, once we got to our place, we pulled in the driveway to see a tree had fallen across it.  To Chris' consternation, it wasn't big enough for him to have to use his chainsaw, though.  We were able to pull it to the side of the drive and get the truck and camper up to the clearing.

Our new camper!!

J was absolutely thrilled to be up there and to be outside so much.  He definitely prefers to be outside, getting dirty, going for walks, picking up stones, etc., than to be doing anything inside!  Pure, unadulterated little boy, that's for sure.  He follows Chris around and mimics/tries to help his Daddy with whatever he's doing.  Of course, that means it takes Chris longer to do anything, but he's such a great father to our son and loves having his little shadow next to him.

making sure the blocks are behind the wheels

getting the hose out for the water

helping put together the new wood rack

Going for a walk on our road. Aren't they just too cute?

There are not very many people that live on this road, so it's safe for J to run around on it picking up rocks and looking at whatever bugs are crawling along.  We went for at least three walks one day because he kept saying "walk? walk?"  Even when he was too tired to walk and we would have to carry him, he still wanted to be out there!

He started doing this new thing up there, where he would say "walk...walk...ru-un!!"  I didn't get that on video, but did get the one above.  Kind of funny, though, if he falls down inside, he acts like it's much more traumatic than if he falls outside; I guess he's just too interested in being outside to notice a little stumble now and then.

Snack time in the camper.  We did not take his booster seat with us because there wasn't room to stuff it in the truck when we left, but I do believe we will next time.  The kid does not sit still when he eats and ends up getting more food on the floor than in his mouth!  Without the dogs around to clean it up and the possibility of bugs coming in to do the honors, I was cleaning that floor after every time we ate!  Yeah, yeah, I know we were camping and I should expect bugs, but did you see the camper???  More like an apartment on wheels than camping, according to some...and I'm okay with that.  :-)



Playing in the camper.  My family will recognize the reason for this shot!


Learning, even at camp!  
J does love this book and I think it's helped him with his verbal skills a ton.

Chris' project this time besides getting the new wood rack put together was to get the tree stump out of the ground from the tree he had cut down last year to widen our campsite.  This is the hole and tree stump after he finally got it dug/chopped/chainsawed out.  These pictures don't really do either one of them justice; they are both actually bigger than they seem here!  Way to go, hubby!!



J had no trouble sleeping in the camper.  All the fresh air wore him out!



(I took so many pictures of him just sleeping during this trip, it's ridiculous!  But I don't really get to see him when he's asleep that much, so it was a treat for me.)

He looks completely ticked off in this picture when we were going to town one day...

...but just kidding, mommy, I LOVE the truck!

Back at home, J is ready to go camping (or anywhere) again, as long as it's in the truck...and he's driving this time!!


This next picture is the only one I have from Mother's Day!  Yikes, you think I would have thought to get a better one of the two of us on my very. first. Mother's Day.  It's hard to believe that it has been almost a year since we came home as a family of three and that this time last year, Chris and I were still waiting for our travel call.  We never imagined that we wouldn't be celebrating Mother's Day last year.  Because how can you really feel like celebrating Mother's Day when you don't have a child to hold?  We couldn't believe that we still didn't have him home at that point.  That day, and his 1st birthday, were actually the worst ones for me during our wait.  Because he wasn't home.  And we wanted him here.

But this year...this year, I woke up on Mother's Day to my child snuggled up beside me and his Daddy looking at me with tears in his eyes as they both gave me a big hug.  This year, I got to wrap my son up in my arms and smother his chubby cheeks with kisses until he was giggling uncontrollably.  This year, I got to hear my husband prompt our little boy to say "happy mommy's day."  This year, I got a mother's day picture...as a mother.


And happy belated Mother's Day to my mom, the best mom a girl could have!!  I can only hope to emulate you as I travel along my path as a mother to my little boy.  If I even get close to how amazing you are, my son will be one lucky guy!  Thanks, Mom, for always being there for me, for listening, for teaching, for guiding me throughout the years.  You are one very special lady and I am so glad you're my mom.  I love you.

No comments: