Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Thursday, March 12, 2009

100 Good Wishes Quilt

For those who do not know yet, Chris and I are in the process of adopting a baby from South Korea.  We have just begun our journey, but are already anxious and ready to have him or her in our arms!  We hope you all continue to check back here, as I will try to keep this blog updated.  Keep reading for a project I hope you will all help us out with!!



Here is the first square we have received for our baby's quilt!!  Our friends, Sue and Blake, who are adopting a little boy, Cohen, from South Korea gave us this square.  It is the same fabric that they chose for Cohen's quilt.  Here are the details if you would like to participate and share in this wonderful gift we will make for our child:

100 Good Wishes Quilt
A 100 good wishes quilt, or Bai Jia Bei, is a tradition that comes from the northern part of China.  The quilts are made to welcome and celebrate a new life.  We have decided to make one for our baby.  I am really excited about this project and seeing the completed quilt with all the good wishes!  I will continue to update on this project as it progresses.  I know it will be a lot of hard work, but I know it will be worth it.  The fun part is that our friends and family get to participate!!
If you would like to participate (and we hope you do), here is what you need to do:
1. Choose any 100% cotton fabric that you like and that has meaning to you.  (100% cotton is best as it washes and wears well),
2. Cut a 10" x 10" square of fabric that will be made into the quilt
3. On card stock card (up to 8 1/2 x 11"), glue (archival safe please) a small swatch of the fabric and include your "good wish note."  If you don't have archival glue, send your card and wish unassembled and I'll put it together for you.  Your good wish can be a poem, a favorite quote or saying, bible verse, advice, etc.  Please also include your name, city, and state.  
The first piece of fabric will be used to make the quilt and the swatch and good wish will be incorporated into a special memory book for our child.

If you have any questions, please email me or leave a comment.  Thank you for taking part in this fun and special project for our baby!!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Rita! I would love to send you a quilt square and wish. I'll put one together and then get your addres from you when it's done!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to finding the special fabric. I think that the blanket and memory book is such a great idea and hope I can see it when it is completed! Tiff

PamT said...

Rita and Chris:
I'm speaking on behalf of Randy without talking to him, but I am positive that we'll be sending a quilt square and message/wish back with Julie and Mike at the end of April. Hope you can come visit soon!
Pam

Anonymous said...

I finally got my quilt square done!! (Custom made!) I just have to get the glue and the card!