Coronado Beach, CA

Coronado Beach, CA

Sunday, April 14, 2013

We Celebrate You Today


My Sweets,

Today, you are four.  What a smart, funny, sweet, and likable little man you have become!  You are (mostly) a giggly, smiling boy, although you do have your not-so-sweet, whiny times as well (and these are usually privately reserved for mommy and daddy, so that others tend to think you're the smily little guy all. the. time!).    Regardless of your mood, though, we cherish all the time we have with you and don't take any of it for granted.  We are celebrating you today.  Your love for cars and trains and being outdoors.  M&M's, Jolly Ranchers, and really...anything chocolate.  Shrimp.  Sticky rice and seaweed.  Chinese food.  Playgrounds, camping, and canoeing.  Tools and helping daddy with projects.  I could go on and on!

Even though we don't know your actual birth story to share with you, we do know that four years ago today, your birth mother brought you into this world.  We also celebrate her today because she chose to make an adoption plan for you, which was probably a difficult but, definitely, courageous decision.  For mommy and daddy, the day you were born was a day like any other...we wouldn't know for another 5 1/2 months what a special, glorious day that actually was!!  And although we weren't able to be there to celebrate that day with you, we get to celebrate with you today, and for all the rest of your birthdays.

As you woke up today, calling out like you do most weekends, "It's time to wake up!", I think about all those weekends your daddy and I slept in before you came home.  Do I miss them?  Yes.  Would I trade the wake-up calls, the sweet kisses and "I love you's", the hugs, the playtimes, the missing tooth smiles?  Would I trade any of those things for a few extra hours of sleep on the weekend?

Not for anything in the world, my son.

Now...let's celebrate!!!

Love,

Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday to your little man!