Yesterday, I dropped Boo off at the new daycare/preschool that he will be starting in a little over a week. His current babysitter is going to be moving away, so we decided to go with a traditional daycare at this point rather than a home setting so that he is exposed to more children and more of a school setting. We are so sad to be saying goodbye to his wonderful babysitter; she has taken care of him for two years, ever since I went back to work after he came home!! To say it's going to be a transition for him is an understatement.
So, back to the new daycare...
They allow kids to have a Discovery Day, which is a free day for the child to be dropped off and "try out" the school, to see how they like it. When we turned into the parking lot and I announced where we were, Boo cheered loudly and got very excited. That excitement lasted while we waited in the lobby for his teacher, while we walked down the hall to his classroom, and until we crossed the threshold into the room. There were about 8 kids in the room at the time and most of them came over to see "the new kid" and say hi. They were all very friendly, but I think it was a bit overwhelming for Boo all at once. As I was talking with the teachers, I felt him turn into me and wrap his arms around my leg. When I crouched down to him, he had tears in his eyes, which he kept trying to wipe away to keep them from falling. Oh, my mama's heart just about broke to see my little boy being so brave. I gave him a hug and kiss, told him I loved him and that mommy was going to be back to pick him up later. When he replied, "okay", in a little wobbly voice, it was all I could do not to start crying in front of him, which I knew would have completely set him off! I told him he was going to have a lot of fun checking out all the new toys and meeting new friends, to which he again replied "okay" in that same little voice. We gave each other another kiss and hug and then I left before he really started crying. When I called the school later to check up on him, they told me he was doing very well and that all the other children really liked him. I was so happy to hear that and even more happy to see him surrounded by the other kids during "library time" when I went to pick him up. He was very excited to see me when I walked in, but also looked slightly reluctant to leave the circle of children.
I think my brave boy is going to be okay.
Which makes my mama's heart happy.


No comments:
Post a Comment